Pages

Wednesday 15 June 2016

Come on! Let's plant some vegetables!

On a cold and cloudy Saturday, my brother, dad and I ate breakfast early so we can be ready to plant our vegetables, fruit trees and some other plants. We got our tools from the shed at the back of our house. We used a shovel, trowel, wheelbarrow, gardening forks and rakes. I started using the rake to clean the back yard before we started planting.


First, my brother and I mowed the grass. It took us one whole hour to mow it because we have a big section. While I was cutting the grass, an idea came to my mind to make compost out of the cut grass for my garden. Then I hurried and collected up the grass and put it into a big container to decompose.


Image result for planting cartoonThen, it was planting time. We used a shovel to dig 2 holes to plant  2 orange plants in. Then we watered around them.  When my  dad was digging holes for the plants and vegetables, he said to me, “Get a trowel and I will teach you how to transplant new plants into the garden!’  I quickly grabbed a trowel and then he gave me a plant. I transplanted 4 plants but I was not sure if I did it alright. I hope that they will grow well.


Image result for planting cartoonTransferring a new plant into a garden bed was a bit challenging for me but I tried my very best.  My dad told me to squeeze the container, gently smack the bottom then place the plant gently into the hole. My dad was happy because I learned fast. Then he said, “Keep on going, you are doing great!” While I was transplanting,  I became tired but I didn’t give up because I only have a few left to plant.


When I was done, I helped my brother to plant the vegetables.  He was tired because he needed to do ten more seedlings to plant. I took five  and he had five as well. A few minutes later, my brother and I finished at the same time. Then we went into the house, took a shower and a rest  afterwards by watching Avengers 2 on TV.


I had a lot of fun planting vegetables and fruit trees with my dad and brother. I hope that we get out fruit trees will bear fruits soon for us to enjoy!


Learning intention: We are learning to understand the structure of a recount.
Success criteria: I know I can do this when I write an introduction, followed by the events and then a conclusion about my weekend planting plants in my garden.

1 comment:

  1. It's always good to know the younger generation are getting involved in gardening, keep up the good work. I've heard some worrying statistics recently about these type of skills getting lost as they aren't being passed onto your generation, well done for bucking the trend!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.